In the world of TAP applications, smartphone applications are a rare kind. Because of this rareness, its very hard to find downloadable applications that follow the best development practices. Following best development practices, will improve the chance of the application performing well in the market, along with providing with a better user experience. Here are some of the key aspects that need to be looked into when developing downloadable applications.
Support Multiple Android Versions
When developers create applications they seldom look into multi OS version support. Mostly this is a result of older versions not supporting latest cutting edge services offered by Android SDKs. By planning and building apps for multiple operating systems, the developers can cater to a larger crowd and users can easily find the perfect app for their device.
Make the application lightweight
Applications nowadays are generally heavy. It’s hard to find applications which are less than 10–15 Megabytes. Most of you would argue saying, current technology terms the size not an issue. But in reality it matters, the size of the application will impact on app load time, performance and memory usage. Here are a few things that can help you reduce application size.
- Use Recommended media types with compression for assets.
- Create assets with smaller footprint that can be scaled (ex: 9-slice scaling).
- Remove unwanted assets and libraries.
- DRY(Don’t repeat yourself).
- Remove debug assets and code in final release.
Make performance the priority
Performance is an important item,when it comes to applications. Due to the excess processing power and memory available in the new devices, some developers tend to ignore the performance aspect. Here are few things which will help improve performance.
- Using shapes and selectors for as many UI items as possible.
- Avoid too many levels in UIs.
- Use lightweight libraries to reduce boilerplate code.
- Never use UI threads for file operations.
There are many more, so feel free to research before, starting on the application.
Security is one of the most important aspects of application development. So making sure the app itself is not vulnerable to threats and does not expose any valuable information intentionally or unintentionally to malicious programs is a must. Here are some things that developers can follow to prevent these instances.
- Using content providers wherever they can be used.
- Storing all application related sensitive files in the internal storage and keeping external storage for application generated files or assets.
- Use appropriate permissions to use various functionalities of the device and the application.
- Use SSL when connecting to the internet.
Likewise there are many more things that can be done to improve the applications quality and performance. Make sure before every application build, to plan and follow best practices.